I always struggle with my summer-wear…. It is summertime, yes. HOWEVER – I am always in “teacher mode”. Living somewhat close to where my school is located, means that the chances of me running into a student, well, ANYWHERE, is 100%. Just the other night, Matt and I went to dinner and a movie, and sure enough, walking out of the movie I hear “Hey Ms. K!” SO, how do I dress trendy during the summer and still conservatively enough that I feel comfortable if the inevitable run-in with a student happens?
Some don’t care. I, on the other hand, tend to dress more toward the conservative regardless. I don’t like super short shorts (although they are growing on me… yikes!), I don’t like showing a lot of cleavage, and I am not typically drawn to “scandalous” clothing. So where do I shop? That is a question I hear often, during the school year and in our off months. I love the following (and they offer teacher discounts!):
- Ann Taylor LOFT (www.loft.com) is my absolute FAVORITE place in the world. They have a “LOFT Loves Teachers” program, which gives you 15% off anytime you shop. Amazeballs!
- J.Crew (www.jcrew.com) – I try to hit up the outlet as often as possible. But I am still a sucker for anything J.Crew! Most stores will offer in-store discounts if you show your teacher ID, so don’t go shopping without it! But their clothes are extremely trendy, and also very conservative. I try to go for the 5″ length shorts, and I always feel like I’m covered enough to feel comfortable seeing students outside of school.
- Steve Madden (www.stevemadden.com) – where I buy almost 85% of my shoes. The other 15% are heels reserved for fancy outings, and not shoes that I’d wear to work 🙂 But again – teacher discount! Show your Teacher ID! I don’t leave home without it.
I will post some of my summer outfits throughout the summer… do not fear!! But checkout those 3 sites, or go in to the stores, and pretty much anything you choose will make you feel happy, and quite the trendy teacher 🙂